Temp control on Minikin v2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp control on Minikin v2

The temp control on my Minikin v2 which has the latest firmware v38 seems to be greatly underpowered. Even when set at the highest setting of 572f i barely get a decent cloud, Where i am getting a satisfying vape on my alien at 470f using the exact same atomiser. Is a further firmware upgrade due to fix this problem?

I'm not noticing any problems with the TC. I'm running dual fused claptons at 0.26 ohms. The mod is set to 80W at 480F.

Make sure the mod is set to use the correct wire type. Also make sure you have locked the coil resistance. Spaced coils give much better performance than contact coils (There are no hot spots and shorts within the coil).

One of the problems I had when starting out with temp control was my wicking. Even though the wick looked saturated, there was not enough juice getting to the coil. This caused the mod to 'protect' against dry burns. Make sure your wick is nice and snug. (When holding the mod and pulling the wick it should not bend the coil, when setting the mod down and pulling, it should be tight enough to pull the mod along the desk.).

Comment

Thanks for the reply waldermort, I'm wondering wether it's because I'm using stainless steel. I'm using premade SS 316l coils on the herakles pro. As stated they work a treat on my alien at 470f at 45 watts. I have tried just using the SS 316 setting on the Minikin and using in TCR set to .00092 which is the correct setting, I'm barely getting puff of vapor. Perhaps i need to use the v39 firmware but not sure i can revert it back if this fails

Comment

Originally posted by Johnlilley View Post
        The temp control on my Minikin v2 which has the latest firmware v38 seems to be greatly under powered. Even when set at the highest setting of 572f i barely get a decent cloud, Where i am getting a satisfying vape on my alien at 470f using the exact same atomizer. Is a further firmware upgrade due to fix this problem?
        Agree with waldermort You really want to soak (not flood) the wig inside the coil. What I do is soak press Fire for 1 sec add more juice direct onto coil. This will also saturate the cotton outbound of the coil. This process gonna consume a bit more juice but guaranties the best performance in my opinion.

Comment

I am using the SS 316L coils on a Herakles Pro as well, and I can barely get any vapor even at 500F at 50W. Same tank on my IPV5, and it hits great. I tried it with NI200 on a Hobo V2.1 RDA, and it's same issue. Vapor production in TEMP mode is almost non existent. The resistance on kanthal wire jumps around as well. Is there a fix for this?

Comment

But buys, according to wire wizard, TCR value dven for ss316 must be higher than 1.0, for example 1.1678.

Comment

in addition.
              could you please explain the meaning of temperature and power of minikin2 in TCR mode?
              in short i have coil with R of 0,72. SteamEngine show me that i need to set TCR=1.01000.
              I can change the power and play with amount of smoke and flavor, in my case it's 392F and 18 Watts.
              but changing temperature gives me nothing, so why i need to set the temperature???

actually, it'll be great if you explain a little how TCR works.

Comment

Originally posted by un_false View Post
                in addition.
                could you please explain the meaning of temperature and power of minikin2 in TCR mode?
                in short i have coil with R of 0,72. SteamEngine show me that i need to set TCR=1.01000.
                I can change the power and play with amount of smoke and flavor, in my case it's 392F and 18 Watts.
                but changing temperature gives me nothing, so why i need to set the temperature???

actually, it'll be great if you explain a little how TCR works.
                Back in my high school days, my physics teacher told me to think about water pipes, so I will use the same analogy.

Think of 2 water pipes, each a different thickness, the first 1 inch think, then 3 inch. The 3 inch pipe can obviously carry more water than
                the 1 inch. In the world of pipes this is called CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute). The more water you push through the pipe, the higher the
                pressure becomes. If you want a high water pressure, use a thinner pipe because it doesn't require as much water.

Wires are very similar. But instead of higher water pressure, we get heat. Thin wires get hotter much faster than thick wires, when using
                the same amount of power. The only way to make a thick wire get hotter faster is to use more power. In the world of vaping, this is
                known as resistance (measured in Ohms). I like to think of vaping wire as a leaky pipe. Gold wire has almost no leaks, so it produces very
                little heat.

TCR (Temperature Coefficient Resistance) is a special number which tells us how much heat a wire can produce. (How many leaks are in
                the pipe). The number can be used to calculate how much power is needed for a certain temperature, so given the power being used we
                can also calculate the current temperature of a wire.

In a mod you have 3 settings. The TCR, Temp and Watts. This is where most people get confused. The TCR number tells the mod what
                kind of wire you are using. It will then use this number in temperature and resistance calculations. The Temp number tells the mod the
                maximum temperature. It doesn't say "always use this temperature" it says "If the wire gets this hot STOP giving it power". The Watts
                tells the mod how much power to give. The higher the watts, the faster it heats up. Setting it too high will cause the mod to keep cutting
                the power (not a very pleasant vape).

TCR and Temp mode should be used just like normal Watt mode. If you usually vape at 40 Watts, use the same number in Temp mode.
                The only difference is, in temp mode, the mod will cut the power when the wire gets too hot. This helps to prevent dry hits (burning the
                cotton).

I usually use a dual alien (combined resistance of 0.15 ohms) setup. Then I vape anywhere between 50 and 80 watts (it depends on the
                juice). I have my mod set to 450 Fahrenheit. I never get dry hits.

When vaping at 18 watts, with a 0.72 coil, I would be surprised if you get any vapor. But, since you have set the temp, you will never get
                burnt cotton.

Comment

• un_false
                  un_false commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hey, thanks for such deep explanation!
                  i already figured out that i need to reread coil's R before going to TCR.
                  now i have SS316 0,96 coil, 450F and 25W . works fine for my RTA.

Originally posted by emonti View Post
                I am using the SS 316L coils on a Herakles Pro as well, and I can barely get any vapor even at 500F at 50W. Same tank on my IPV5, and it hits great. I tried it with NI200 on a Hobo V2.1 RDA, and it's same issue. Vapor production in TEMP mode is almost non existent. The resistance on kanthal wire jumps around as well. Is there a fix for this?
                Originally posted by un_false View Post
                But buys, according to wire wizard, TCR value dven for ss316 must be higher than 1.0, for example 1.1678.

The TCR value for ss316 is 0.00092. Steams wire wizard gives you a calculation, NOT the value to enter into your mod. The steam engine should only be used for calculating wire resistance when wrapping your own coils.

With the Minikin2, the v36 firmware had a problem with the temp mode of ss316 wire. A fix was to use a slightly higher TCR of 0.00108. I believe this was fixed in the v38 and v39 firmwares (I still use v36 so I cannot test it myself).

TCR/Temp mode CANNOT be used with kanthal wire. Kanthal has a TCR of 0.00002, this value is too small to reliably calculate the temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by waldermort View Post

The TCR value for ss316 is 0.00092. Steams wire wizard gives you a calculation, NOT the value to enter into your mod. The steam engine should only be used for calculating wire resistance when wrapping your own coils.

With the Minikin2, the v36 firmware had a problem with the temp mode of ss316 wire. A fix was to use a slightly higher TCR of 0.00108. I believe this was fixed in the v38 and v39 firmwares (I still use v36 so I cannot test it myself).

TCR/Temp mode CANNOT be used with kanthal wire. Kanthal has a TCR of 0.00002, this value is too small to reliably calculate the temperature.
                  thanks for reply!
                  i alredy noticed that wie wizard shows something different than TCR value.
                  Anyway, ss316 preset works fine for me.

Comment

I have the same issue with temp control.. I have played with this device for about 4 months.. and i always use different tipe of coil.. and it seems that the temp.control of this device is really really underpower.. even using spaced or contact or simple build or clapton.. low ohms or higher ohms.. believe me i have build a lot to get a decent vape as i vape on power mode.. and then i tried to upgrade the firmware to v.39 and still the same.. delay about 1 sec.. and then i realize that this mod doesnt give full power at the first sec.. it always starts with 3.4 or 3.5 v no matter your build.. then starts to reach your prefered power.. may be this is why that it feels greatly underpower.. i wish that an upgrade is available soon to reduce the delay.. or if its a preheat feature from minikin i hope that we could set it up as we want.. right now im using fused clapton dual coil reading at 0.25 ohm.. i usually vape at 75 watt at tem 480 deg.. and its still not a good vape i have tried 572 still cant get amount of heat for me except a burn cotton.. i use tcr 0.00108. I really like this mod except the TC mode.. i do hope that there will be an upgrade to resolve this...
                    Forgive me for my english..

Comment

Maybe this review (not mine, of course ), the considerations and the final charts coul be useful. Great mod, i love asmodus and especially the Minikin 2: materials, form factor, the chip too and the 'philosophy' behind it. But please, fix the problems related to TC (see the review) with next v40, and retain the more (than v39) accurate power mode present in v38. With this stuff fixed, Minikin 2 could be the most complete and versatile box round here, not only considering the price point but also related to the 'reference' as Evolv DNA and YiHi. Pleeeaaase!

Last edited by Karl; 07-27-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Hello, i have installed the update v40. Unfortunately the temp control does not work. I have checked with diverse atomizers and another mods. Please repair this function. The temp or tcr modus is very important. If you release the API and the source then the users could support the software development.

Comment

Working...
                        X